Tuesday 6/5:
Some time between my first mimosa and our trip to Cerro Santa Lucia on Sunday, I promised Ashleigh, Ryan, and Meghan that I would send them a text message on Monday morning to try to establish a time and place to meet up and plan our vacation for real. This of course, was BEFORE I decided to stay out until 4:30AM with a bunch of random characters from New York and the gay cashier. Nevertheless, a promise is a promise, so I dusted the cobwebs out of my mind at about 10AM to try and rally the troups in order settle our plans once and for all.
Unfortunately, the internet in my house wasn’t working (there seems to be a mandatory period of down time following every party that we have at the house, and as I mentioned, there was one on Saturday). Since basically, without internet, I am crippled like a Jack Bauer detainee, we had to call an audible. Meghan helped me out and decided that it might be best for us all to bring ourselves and our comps to a travel agency pretty close to where we work. We were supposed to meet there at 1:45, but many of us have adopted a lot of the local culture here in Santiago, not the least of which is showing up at least a half an hour late to everything we do. "When in Rome..."
Thinking I was running really late, I texted Meghan to tell her that I wouldn’t be there until about 2PM. I showed up at about 1:55 to find only Ashleigh, who had been waiting for a couple minutes. Meghan showed up about ten minutes later with a message from Ryan saying that he would be about 20 minutes late. As it was already about 2:20, we figured it might just be best to wait it out for him... We were wrong. Ryan casually rolls up close to an hour late, and when we finally do spot him about a half a mile off, we are so relieved to finally see him, that we don’t even think to catch his attention in order to prevent him from taking the wrong turn down the street on which we were standing. A few more minutes pass before he reappears, and we withhold our petulance long enough to breathe a collective sigh of relief before heading to the travel agency.
The travel agency was the exact opposite of helpful, and while unhelpful might convey the point, it just doesn’t do justice to the “service” we received. For one, we walk into the travel agency to see an entire room FILLED with travel agents, and ZERO other clients in the place. Most of the travel agents were on the phone, while some were milling about doing their best to ignore us, or look busy, or both. We took a seat at the recommendation of the first agent, who was on the phone and assured us she would be with us shortly. After about 20 minutes of sitting and wondering at the sheer lunacy of the situation (that there were 20 agents, 0 clients, and we were waiting), we were finally invited to take a seat with the lady who originally told us to wait.
The long and short of our conversation was as follows: we told her what we were looking for, she told us she didn’t have it, she offered us alternatives, we told her we didn’t want them, and then we left. Needless to say, it was not exactly what you would call time well spent.
Having so far accomplished nothing in the two and a half hours since we had originally planned on meeting, we were all pretty perturbed. I mentioned the West Side Story-slash-Cocktail party that I was going to that night and invited all three of my colleagues to come. Of course only Ashleigh and Meghan wanted to go. I am not sure, but I think Ryan mentioned having a date with being lame or something, so I let him do his thing. Ashleigh wanted to shower and change before the show, so Ryan and Ashleigh went their separate ways, while Meghan and I were left to try to actually get some stuff done. Before seeking out a wireless network, Meghan had to return a jacket, and I had to find a new bag to use for a laundry sack since my laundromat has apparently been using mine to test out new prototypes of lawnmower blades or something: every time I get it back I find new rips and tears, and the wire that holds it all together finally gave way last week. I followed Meghan into one of the two biggest department stores in Chile, which sells everything from washing machines to blenders, to clothing, to makeup, to soccer balls. Unfortunately, on their eclectic list of inventory, there is no such item as a BIG BAG. Expecting Meghan to take a lot longer than me, I run over to the other big department store a block away, only to receive the same results. From there, I go to an electronics store that sells everything you could possibly want when it comes to wires, cables, and other electrical goodies, but of course, they don’t carry the one thing I need (a converter to plug something from the US into a Chilean socket). The guy directs me to a store a block away where I find the converter I am looking for. So out of four stops, only one was successful.
I go BACK to the store where I originally bought my first bag hoping that I can find another one that is similar (but stronger). The place is basically Chile’s version of Linen’s and Things, but they are of course sold out of the bags that I bought, and don’t have anything else that could be used to hold dirty laundry. One for five.
Angered and exhausted, I accept defeat on this endeavor, and meet back up with Meghan to find a wireless network.
The most trusted and comfortable place to find free wireless was, of course, Starbucks, so we put our disdain of the institution on hold in order to accomplish something in a day that had so far been devoid of progress. Being the conscientious individuals we are, we decided we should probably at least buy something so that we wouldn’t feel so guilty about using the internet for hours on end without actually patronizing the business. It wasn’t until after we had already bought our overpriced drinks and muffins, cozied up into the big, comfortable chairs upstairs, and loaded up our computers while listening to the “like, you know, whatever’s” of the veritable multitude of gringos around us that we realized the internet was down.
Teetering perilously on the precipice of losing my mind, I once again bit my lip and sought out an alternative solution. We decided to grab a bite at the salad shop next door in order to use their wireless network, which we were receiving in the Starbucks but couldn’t use because it was password protected. We walked through the open doors into the well-lit restaurant bar teeming with employees, only to have them tell us that it was closed. I did everything I could not to pull out the rest of my thinning hair and walked out the door.
Meghan and I decided that the trip planning just wasn’t going to happen today, so we might as well enjoy a bite before going to the show. Looking for recommendations, I stopped into the hotel where I stayed when I first arrived in Chile (see “Santiago”). I remembered that the people at the concierge were incredibly friendly and helpful, so we assumed it would be our best bet if we were going to find a decent meal at a fair price in the area. Well, just as I remembered, the man at the front desk WAS incredibly friendly and boy was he trying to be helpful. Unfortunately, every time his face lit up with a great new idea, it was immediately followed by the somber realization that the place was either incredibly expensive, or closed. We thanked him for his time in between his superfluous apologies for not being able to help us more and decided on a pizza place around the corner. The pizza was good, the place clean, and the service friendly, but almost as if to rub in the cosmic joke that was this day, we realized that we had arrived about 20 minutes before happy hour, and wouldn’t be able to receive any of the much needed offers on alcohol. Nevertheless, it WAS an enjoyable meal for relatively cheap, so it wasn't a total loss.
From there, we had to meet up with Ashleigh, so we hopped in a metro and headed north. We hopped out at our meeting place, and I had to beg a local day spa to let me in to use their bathroom before we all hopped onto the bus that would take us the rest of the way to where the show would be (I am including that part of the story for my benefit only, because I will forever remember how entertaining that brief exchange was).
Not budgeting for all the travel time, we arrived about 15 minutes later than the show’s scheduled start time. Fortunately, as this is Chile, we were still able to meander in, wait for both of the girls to go to the bathroom, and take our seats before the director even addressed the audience with his opening remarks.
The show wasn’t incredible, but there were definitely a few highlights that were well worth the trip. One of which was watching all Chilean actors mingling with the Americans, which was even more impressive when we found out that many of the Chileans didn’t speak English (in spite of the fact that all of their lines were in English). Another, of course, was the fact that afterwards, we were ushered into a large social gathering through lines of culinary students brandishing pisco sours, red wine, daquiris, and a plethora of mouth-watering hors d’ouvres all for us, and all for free. We stayed and mingled with the cast for a while, drank all we could drink, ate all we could eat, and then caught the bus back to civilization.
After a brief night out that included a slight discount on drinks with Ashleigh, Matt, and Nick at a local wattering hole, a number of failed attempts to find a decent place to go dancing on a Monday night, and a largely forgettable encounter with the some of the cast, Ashleigh and I split a cab home.
Most of the awfulness that was the day was largely forgotten by the fact that in the end I enjoyed a free show, free cocktails, and a pleasant and mellow night of conversation out on the town. But once again, any positive from this day had to be wiped out in order to keep the universal balance in tact, so when I arrived at home, I was not surprised to find that I had locked my keys in my room. I tried in vain to pick the lock on the door with a paper clip, a credit card, and then a knife. I then proceeded to break two knives and cut myself in various places trying to jimmy the lock on my window open. Having exhausted all other options, I elected to simply enter with force. A few "heave-hoes" throwing my shoulder to the door, and the latch burst, splinters of wood littered my floor, and the door was irreparably broken... But at least I was free to sleep off what had otherwise been a very, very long day...
Saturday, June 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Me encanta leer tu blog es fantástico, aparte tu eres realmente atractivo.
Me fascina lo que escribes, es como tu diario de vida o una bitacora de viajero.
Espero poder hacer eso algún día
besos
simplemente yo
Post a Comment